If you’re ever really interested to know if the apologist is being honest and thoughtful, or just lying through their teeth, just look and see if they have a “comment” button. Or even slightly more dishonest, they have a comment button, but they delete comments that disagree and leave the nice ones.
They turn to 1 Peter 3:15, which basically says it is the duty of Christians to have a defense for their faith to anyone that asks. Then, they turn and lock the door tight, so no questions can be asked. Charlatans, all!
I’ve noticed this trend on blogs, YouTube videos, and other social media. As an atheist, blogging about atheism, I’ve spent some time searching around for sites with religious posts. My purpose is to drum up a little support for my blog, but also to challenge them on their beliefs, maybe help them get at least one thing right. My comments are respectful, and I ask them questions. I try to keep the questions to a minimum to avoid confusion. Some people reply, others don’t. But the “Apologetics” pages, the people that are supposed to be “defending the case for Christ” against us “evil atheists”, are the ones that flat-out don’t give themselves the opportunity to actually do so.
Hypocrisy is a Christian value. I’ve come to realize this.
Seriously, these are supposed to be the heavyweights of the religion. They’re supposed to know the material so well that I should feel equally inferior talking to them as I would an astrophysicist. But instead, they make stupid arguments, stupid assumptions, and say very, very stupid things! Yet they won’t allow a common man with no religious or scientific training to ask questions.
Because of their blatant dishonesty, I refuse to link to any of their pages. They don’t deserve it. But let’s get a top 10 going.
- 10. “Free will.” It’s code for “god doesn’t do anything.” Liars.
- 9. “Lots of evidence for Jesus (or god).” No, there is no evidence. You know this, and you’re lying to your audience about what evidence is. Liars.
- 8. Kalam, or any other 800 year old argument. They didn’t work then, they certainly don’t work now. Liars.
- 7. “Creation vs. Evolution”- No, they are not equal. We don’t compare “lift” and “pixies holding the wings up” when we talk about flight. Even saying them in the same sentence is dishonest. Liars.
- 6. “Win the person, not the argument”- Cool, so you’re just gonna lie to them and give them a hug? Liars.
- 5. “The values of Atheism are…”, or logic of, or morality of. Stupid. This is their lead-off straw man, followed by an entire blog of fallacious crap. Liars.
- 4. “Archaeology confirms the bible.” No, it doesn’t. It may confirm a city existed. That hardly confirms one single account about that city. Liars.
- 3. “A famous Nobel-prize winning scientist admitted…” No he or she didn’t. This is a flat-out lie that I’ve seen in many apologist writings. I once tried to research the name of the nameless Nobel laureate mentioned in an apologist book. I had plenty of detail. It was a made up story. Liars.
- 2. Anything at all to do with trying to rectify slavery in the bible. Just stop. I’ve read the bible. It’s so clear on slavery there is no doubt. Bible god endorses it, orders it, gives rules for it. Bible slaves are property that can be passed along through inheritance, you can rape them, you can beat them senseless. Liars.
- 1. “Atheism is depressing.” Only when we have to listen to religious people! My life is incredibly full of meaning and I’m happy with my life in general. The happiest country in the world, Denmark, is also the least religious country in the world. Once again, Liars!
Apologists don’t allow comments, or filter their comments, because they don’t actually care about converting non-believers. If they cared even the tiniest bit, they would seek to answer our questions. They shut the button off because they either don’t have answers or they’re just selling books. They are hypocrites, they are liars, and they are charlatans.
The Spartan Atheist